STORIES from a Missionary LINK-UP

2.28.2015 |


  • Do you have a missions-based post?  
  • Do you have a STORY of how the Lord is moving in your life or in the life of others?  
  • Do you want to share how God is using you to fulfill the great commission?
  • Do you have an old post from a past mission trip?
Link it up here!



My #STORY:
I have only ever been on one mission trip, but I like to think that my life is on big mission; at least, that is what I am told by Jesus in Matthew 28:19.  

I went to Vancouver, Canada in December 2012 with Pine Lake Starkville.  I had no idea what to expect.  I decided to go at the LAST possible opportunity, because it was the FIRST time I had heard about it.  I felt burdened to go, so I decided that I was going to go. 

As I was driving home after making that decision, I started to doubt.  How was I going to raise the funds in just over TWO WEEKS? How can I spend nearly all of my Christmas break AWAY from my family who I barely get to see anyway?  Why would I be useful on a trip that I don't know a single person?  How could I be good at mission work if I don't even know what I going to do?

All of these doubts filled me, but all were satisfied ad put to rest in Jesus.  

Philippians 1:6 tells me that Jesus is not just going to leave me on my own.

Hebrews 13:21 tells me that Jesus has equipped me to do what he wants me to do.  I don't have to rely on my own strength, praise God because I am so weak.

Once I got to Vancouver, I realized that it was the PERFECT place for me.  He had put me on the team to be an encouragement.  To be a loud voice in the midst of a big city.  To be an outgoing weirdo who isn't afraid to talk to anyone on a subway, not even someone who doesn't speak english.  To see his faithfulness at work.

I would not trade this trip for the world.  In fact, I still keep in contact with a few people I met in Vancouver through Facebook.  

Though the trip was nothing that I expected, it was everything I needed to grow my relationship with Christ and open up my eyes to the incredible ways that God has provided, equipped, and uniquely made everyone.  

If you are hesitant about signing up for a mission trip because you are shy, don't have money, don't know anyone, don't like to fly, or can chalk up any other excuse. stop.  You are missing out on one of the biggest blessings of your life time.  It will encourage you to live missionally in your every day life and emboldened you to see people through the Christ-like lenses.

It's time to go