God's Control and My Freedom

3.05.2015 |

The phrase, "God is in control of everything" is challenging to me because I like to dot my i's and cross my t's myself.  I like to do everything and plan everything and vocalize everything and and and.....
But

The reality that "God is in control of everything" is comforting because it takes the unnecessary pressure off of me and glorifies the lord. 


As I was reading in 1 Samuel 1:21-2 I visible saw how the Lord is in control and we are not.

Our Birth: verse 21
Indeed the Lord visited Hannah, and she conceived and bore three sons and two daughters.  and the boy Samuel grew in the presence of the Lord.

Our salvation: chapter 2:1
My heart exults in the Lord, my horn is exalted in the Lord.  My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in your salvation.

Our protection: verse 9
He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness, for not by might shall man prevail.

Our knowledge of God: verse 12
Now the sons of Eli were worthless men.  They did not know the Lord.

Our lives: verse 25
If someone sins against a man, God will mediate for him, but if someone sins against the Lord, who can intercede for him?  But they would not listen to the voice of their father, for it was the will of the Lord to put them to death.

These verses are challenging enough if you just read them by themselves, but I challenge you to read it in context and as a whole.  They seem like they can come off harsh (especially 1 Samuel 2:25), but God is sovereign over everything and everything is for our benefit and for his glory (Romans 8:28).  We have to keep our biblical lenses on and not judge whether WE think something is fair or not.    His ways are SO much higher than our ways, and his thoughts are SO much higher than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-11)

I have learned that true freedom comes in relinquishing control to the Lord.  I recognize that I can't control as much (or anything) as I would like too.  It is easy to say that we have completely surrendered our lives to Christ, but then try to control finances, or a relationship, or our children, or a job, or..... I know this because I have tried to control lots of things in my life since becoming a Christ-follower.   

It is comforting that my birth or the future births of my children is not up to me. I would screw that one up.
It is comforting that I don't have to DO anything to be saved, that my salvation rests in Christ alone. That would be tiring.
It is comforting that the Lord is protecting me, even when I don't realize it. I would be dead by now.
It is comforting that knowing God deeper is by God's provision. 
It is comforting to know that my life and everything that happens in my life is not solely up to me, it is up to God, the author and perfecter of my faith, the one who called me out of darkness, the one I strive to live for and bring glory to him.  

How have you seen God working in your life and revealing his sovereignty to you?