Day 9 Not My Plan

1.09.2017 |

Today's verses:

Isaiah 55
Romans 8:15-30

Lots of things happen in life that aren't in our plan.  It can be everything from big events like sickness to small things like a car accident.  We all have these things in life that just aren't "planned" by us.  For me, six separate injuries in college athletics weren't exactly planned, both pregnancies weren't planned, and moving to Virginia wasn't necessarily the plan; but in all and through all, God was faithful and provided and it was for my good and for his glory. 

What are things in your life that weren't in your 5 to 10 year plan but ended up being for your good and for God's glory?


My best friend was getting married in a matter of hours and I was so excited to get to stand next to her on her big day as a newlywed myself.  Mark and I had made a 2-hour trip to Memphis, Tennessee for a late afternoon wedding.  As we finished up the girly pre-wedding festivities, I called my husband to make sure he knew what time to be at the venue and how to get there.  About 30-45 minutes before the wedding started, Mark called me to tell me that the car was overheated and he couldn't drive but 30-seconds at a time.  He was all the way across an unfamiliar town, and there was no way he was going to make it to the wedding.

He finally made it to the wedding, but he missed the ceremony and almost all of the reception.  The hot, southern, summer day turned to a humid, thunderous, rainy night in a hurry.  My car's radiator hose was busted.  It was 10 at night.  How in the world were we going to get back home!?

We had no other option but to call a tow truck and ride the 150 miles home to Starkville, Mississippi in the cab with our driver.  This was not how I wanted to spend the night of my best friend's wedding.  I didn't want to deal with my car.  I didn't want to pay the expensive repair bill.  All I could do and that point was cry.  I was overwhelmed.  It was not what I wanted, nor was it what I have expected.  It was inconvenient and frustrating.

But even in this God was working.

Mark reassured me that God would take care of us.  Mark reassured me that this was an opportunity to glorify him.  Mark reminded me that God was in control and that he saw us in our distress.  Mark reminded me that God was at work despite the situation. (By the way, ladies, marry a man who is more concerned with the things of the Lord and how to give glory to Christ than whether or not his night is ruined by uncontrollable circumstances.)


So Mark started the conversation with our driver, realizing that she probably didn't want to make the long trek either.  We used this opportunity to ask about her.  She loved this.  Our driver had a pretty tough life.  We talked with her the entire way back, and I was just trying not to fall asleep.  Mark shared the gospel with her.  We finally arrived in Starkville and parted ways after praying with our driver to have a safe trip back to Memphis.

Even though the night hardly went as desired, God was working; and God used us; and God took care of us.

God promises that for those that love God, the out of reach circumstances in life are for our good and for his glory.  In the midst of the chaos with the car and the rain and making sure my best friend got off to her honeymoon, it didn't seem like any good could come out of it.  But it did.  And when it didn't seem like God could be glorified in the situation, he absolutely was.

Oh, and guess how much we had to pay for my car to get fixed?  The repair bill was $463.11, but what you don't know is that we had $463.10 left over from our wedding budget.  God provides, especially when you are faithful to your calling.  We paid one penny for a ride back to Starkville and an opportunity to share the gospel with an unbeliever.  I can't make it up.  This is when you get to see your faith grow and are reminded that God is truly in control.

Look for opportunities to make the most out of terrible situations.  It will be for your good and God's glory.

Love,






Take a minute to listen to All Sons & Daughters' "Called Me Higher." You can find more great songs at the back of your New Bloom devotional.



How can you trust God at his word that your good and his glory will result from an unexpected circumstance?



For more on New Bloom: