Ukraine and the Goodness of God

2.24.2022 |

This is Ukrainian currency, 7 hryvnia. It was a special gift to Ezra. It means so much to me: the thoughtfulness and the time spent in conversation, the encouragement for a short interaction. But it means more to Ezra and his tender little heart for the nations. It’s not more than 25¢ USD, but it might be one of the most valuable things in Ezra’s life. He sleeps with it positioned carefully next to his most prized books on animals and his nearly-full drawing pad.


This morning I tried to explain the devastation currently happening in our broken world. The lump formed and tears made their home in the corner of my eyes, not really being able to speak in full sentences. So much pain. So much destruction. So much separation. So much sin. So much I just can’t understand.

But what I know and what I cling to is that God is in control and he is not surprised (Ephesians 1:11, Psalm 115:3, 135:5-6). God is not haphazardly making up or even simply responding to the events we see unfolding today—no, he knew from before the foundations of the world what would take place (Ephesians 1:4-6). He knows the end from the beginning, and though I don’t understand ‘how’ that is all happening, his Word tells me it’s so (Proverbs 19:21Isaiah 46:10). That offers me great hope as I live through what I can not finitely comprehend. I know that through heartache and pain and even grievous sins, God is working and purposing all things for his good pleasure to bring glory to his good name and ultimate good to those in his flock (Romans 8:28). We look no further than the cross to see this reality play out. Even when I can’t see what he’s doing—I know he’s working (2 Corinthians 4:17, Philippians 2:9-13). He is supreme light in very grave darkness (John 1:3-5). He is making all things new (Revelation 4:11, 21:5, Colossians 1:16).

And so while we plead to our good God to end affliction and suffering and conflict, we know that our prayer will ultimately be answered when he makes all things new (1 Corinthians 15:55-57). Final justice will be served, man will be held accountable for his sin and punished accordingly, and death will be destroyed (1 Corinthians 15:26), but those who are in Christ, those who have called on the name of Lord will not ever be put to shame (Romans 10:11, Psalm 25:3, Isaiah 25:8-9).

Lord Jesus, please come.

 


No comments

Post a Comment