Trump, Hillary, and Jesus

10.09.2016 |


(Let me first say: you can disagree with me that is completely fine.  You can vote for Trump. You can vote for Hillary. I don't think any less of you as a person, but this is what I feel needs to be said as a Christ-follower who refuses to justify political words.)

Not to anyone's surprise, it is election year. And with it being election year, the drama surrounding this year's political scene is unprecedented.  Without a doubt, it will be one of the most infamous years in America's political history.  There are so many emotions buzzing about this topic, it really is hard to iron out the details at times.  It is not to anyone's surprise that I say both candidates are magnificently flawed, unless you have been either hiding under a rock for the past year or are in complete denial.  From severely mishandling classified government documents, half-truths, and killing babies to publicly demoralizing entire groups of people and threatening religious liberties of Muslims (and by default Christians), each candidate has massive blunders.

One of the most frustrating things to see during this election year, specifically, is the "evangelical" population more concerned with preserving their said political party or their chosen candidate rather than to stand on the truths of the cross of Jesus Christ.  It has happened on both sides of the scale.

After Trump's comments came out about sexually assaulting married women against their will while he himself was 60 years old and married, I wrote a little blurb on my Facebook.  After some feedback, I decided to put it on my blog.  I want you to know that I in no way support either candidate in this years election, and would like to remind you, reader, that as an American, no political party therefore owns my vote.  As November approaches, I am more and more at a loss as to what to do.  As a Christ-follower focused on preserving my witness and walking in a manner worthy of the life Christ has called me to, I personally can not back either presidential candidate.  I know I am not voting for a pastor or spiritual leader to be in the Oval Office, but I also believe character and integrity are fundamentals the government shouldn't throw out.

I also know that not everyone will agree with me, believer and unbeliever alike.  And that's okay.  I'll answer to Christ one day, and I'm content giving account for these words.

Below is what was originally posted, verses with their reference now included.

"the greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." –brennan manning 
Colossians 1:10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God  
Ephesians 4:1-3 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  
what an unbelieving world finds so hard to believe about people who profess to be christians during this election year is their willingness to wholeheartedly compromise the teachings of jesus who spoke truth in grace with the sole purpose of redeeming people. what the unbelieving world finds so hypocritical is saying one heinous act is worse than another, when grace abounds for the one who repents. why an unbelieving world wants absolutely nothing to do with people who profess to be christ-followers is because not even their moral compasses know how to point due north anymore. people have lost all respect for each other, even those in the church, and have clung to one or the other candidate so strongly they no longer can see without clouded judgement, moral sense, and even more important the lenses of christ. loyalty to a party or a person over the supreme authority of christ (as a christian) in itself is creating a god before the one true God. in other words-idolatry. if you try hard enough, you can justify any terrible thing either candidate has done or rather said to make it fit your own ideal political agenda, but why not call it what it is (sin). because that's what jesus did. he didn't justify sin, he didn't support sin. he called it out, gave us an opportunity to repent (which is different than saying a remorseful i'm sorry, afterall judas said he was sorry). we are all no better than hillary. we are no better than trump. we're horribly messed up people and have fallen short of a mighty, perfect, and holy God. praise God there IS a way to be reconciled back to him through christ. saying you believe something means nothing if you're unwilling to follow its act. if you say you have surrendered your life to christ as a christian, then walk in a manner worthy of your calling. after all, the unbelieving world is looking at christians more than ever to see if they truly live out what they say they believe.

Below are some tweets from some people I respect to the utmost degree in my Christian walk:










I want you, reader, to know that I am flawed.  I don't have all the answers.  I don't have my life and family's lives in order and planned to the wire.  I don't.  But what I do know, is that Christ has called me out of darkness, into his marvelous light.  He has transformed my life and because of his death and resurrection, my life will never be the same.  As a Christ-follower, it pains me deeply to see those who profess to be Christ-followers to romanticize their candidate (both Hillary and Trump), make excuses for their candidate, speak hateful things to people with differing opinions and then gloss it over as something "God told me to do it."  I won't be ashamed of speaking truth, in love.  For that is what I am called to do.