My Prayer Life Sucks

2.25.2015 |

If I am going to be completely honest with you, my prayer life has always sucked.  No pretending, it's just was flat out awful.  It wasn't horrible because I wasn't good at praying or didn't have anything to pray about, but because I just didn't do it.  I was faithful to pray at meals and if someone specifically requested something, but rarely would I ever go to the Lord in prayer to meet with him


I have never made an effort to make praying a spiritual discipline.  In December, I decided I was going to get up early each day and pray.  I challenged myself, but found myself exhausted and overwhelmed and half-asleep: Why Don't We Pray

About 3-weeks ago, my husband began leading me in morning prayer and reading a few verses.  We would diligently pray for the students in my first block class (another story in its self).  Since then, it has been INCREDIBLE and REMARKABLE and FLAT OUT AMAZING how I have seen God show up in first block.

When you see prayers answered, it makes you excited to keep praying.

This Lenten season, I struggled with deciding what to "give up" and shrugged it off.  I knew if I was going to give up something, it would be rash, half-hearted, and probably easy by day 3.  (So not the point).

My women's small group decided that we would each pray fervently for 40-days for something specific.  At first, I jumped on this idea because, uh, yeah we are supposed to pray.  But then I found myself anxious and unsure of how to start this 40-day prayer pursuit.  I knew that I would be held accountable and that my friends would ask me if I had been praying.  I couldn't lie, so I had to start praying.

I find that my mind wanders during prayer if I am not 100% tuned in.  I get distracted by my own loud thoughts crammed inside my head.  I have to write down my prayers.  This is beneficial not only for focus, but it is a good way to document prayers so you can see them answered.

I have found that using scripture to pray makes your prayers meaningful, transparent, and incredibly deep. No longer are you just flinging up prayers, but you are using God's word to talk to God.  I encourage you to use scripture to pray.

Examples:

2 Thessalonians 2:13-15
But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospelso that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

God, thank you so much for choosing me as your daughter.  God thank you for sanctifying me by the Spirit.  God, you called me out of darkness.  I don't deserve your love, but I thank you for loving me so much that you would take my place in death.  God help me to stand firm in your truth.



2 Thessalonians 3:3-5
But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one. And we have confidence in the Lord about you, that you are doing and will do the things that we command. May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.
God, thank you for being faithful in my life.  I have failed you so many times, Father forgive me.  You are faithful still.  God please direct my heart to your love and toward the steadfastness of Christ. Guard me from the enemy Lord.

How do you pray?
Are there specific times you pray?
Is there a method you like best while praying?

I am so excited to see the fruit from this 40-day prayer, I literally am crying imagining it.  Glory to God forever.


1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Father, forgive me for not giving you my all.  Forgive me for not lifting my prayers to you.  Thank you for your faithfulness and the power of the cross to cleanse me from this unrighteousness.




If you are joining in the STORIES from a missionary LINK-UP on SATURDAY, feel free to grab this button! 
I can't wait to read your encouraging and inspiring mission-minded posts!

Mulling Over My Morning Coffee