Christmas on a Sunday : Let Jesus Interrupt You

12.22.2022 |

I have to confess of having a bad attitude when I found out Christmas fell on a Sunday this year. When I checked the calendar some months ago, the roots of irritation had already started growing. The frustration only deepened when neighboring churches posted the cancelling of their Sunday worship services as the impending date drew nearer.

And I was just annoyed, annoyed that, once again, Jesus was interrupting my life; and in this case, my Christmas morning ideal.

Because we are having Sunday morning worship, I knew exactly where I would (and wouldn’t) be on Christmas morning.


I would be in church.

And I wouldn’t be actualizing my cozy, Christmas dream with the children in matching pjs as they patiently, kindly, and without any selfishness in their hearts open presents one by one while the fire crackles on the hearth.  (Snorting as I write this, ohh my stupid little sinful heart)


Here I was, angry that, once again, Jesus was getting in my way of my wants.

Here I was, confronted, once again, with the truth that I am not God.



But two weeks ago, when it looked like ice and frigid temperatures could actually cancel church, my heart cracked. It broke even deeper when one of my children made mention of how terrible it is when any holiday falls on a Sunday. In that moment, I came face to face with my sin—God using both nature and a firstborn son to show me just how desperately I favor it.


But is there anything more fitting for believers on a Christmas Sunday morning than to gather?


We should celebrate the incarnation together; celebrating the Son of God who interrupted and entered time because he loved us. Celebrating the truth of Jesus born and placed in a manger, frustrating all preconceived notions of what the King of Heaven would be like. Should we not rush to celebrate the plan set forth before the foundation of the world?—that God would give an undeserving, sinful people the greatest gift of all, himself. Immanuel, “God with us.” 


It is just like the Son of God to interrupt our family traditions.

Christmas on a Sunday.

It is just like Jesus to inconvenience our plans.

Christmas on a Sunday.

It is just like the Lord to frustrate the dreams we hold so dear.

Christmas on a Sunday.


And why would we shy away from this God who came to live with us, as us, for us? We would want it no other way. Because unless the Lord Jesus Christ frustrates the sin within, puts an end to the dreams you hold dear, and interrupts the trajectory of your life, he will not be your Lord.


You see, this Christmas wasn’t the first time God has used nature and a firstborn son to wake up sinners, like me. But I’m glad that he did, on both accounts. I’m eagerly waiting for Sunday morning, not because presents will be under the tree, but because there is no place I’d rather be than with the body of Christ on a Sunday morning, Christmas or not.


Let Jesus interrupt you this Sunday. It’s worth celebrating.





No comments

Post a Comment