April: G R A T E F U L N E S S

3.28.2017 |

It's interesting to ponder "gratefulness" in April.  Usually you start mulling over all the things you are thankful for in the Fall when the year winds down and we celebrate Thanksgiving.  So to think about the things for which I am grateful in April, well, it feels a little strange.


Living a life of gratefulness helps destroy a self-centered, me-me-me attitude.  It humbles us.  It liberates us from having to one-up ourselves every day.  Gratitude tears down the walls of hostility that jealousy builds. Living a life of thankfulness is refreshing.  When you see thankfulness in others, aren't you just instantly drawn to them?  I know I am.

How do you live a life of gratitude?

I am sure there are books, articles, and blog posts that could probably walk you through a step-by-step process, but I just want to offer one idea.

I think you can live a life defined by gratefulness when you celebrate others.  

Take a moment to publicly celebrate someone special in your life.  Tell them all the things you appreciate about them.  Celebrating others takes the spotlight off of you and shines it on someone else.  We don't need the spotlight on us, we do that enough on social media with our passive "humble" posts.  #blessed
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."
- James 1:17
I am increasingly grateful for Stephanie.  


Stephanie walked up to me at church last Fall and basically said, "Hi I'm Stephanie. I used to live in Mississippi too.  We're going to be friends."  She wasn't proposing a question of whether or not I wanted to be friends with her, she was telling me friendship was here!

God provided friendship in Stephanie at just the right time.  I am so grateful that the Lord sees our hearts, knows what and who we need better than we do.  So He provided Stephanie.

Stephanie has a tender and deeply passionate heart.  She has a fierce desire to do exactly what God says, convicting me in my own walk with Christ.  She owns more makeup than Mary Kay and is an expert at using gifs.  She goes out of her way to make me feel special simply because she wants to, no ulterior motives.  She is super flexible and patient, which is exactly what this psycho, weirdo mom needs. (For example: We celebrated Galentine's Day over a month late because, well, kids.)  One thing that is absolutely amazing about Stephanie is that she loves, I mean lights out loves, my kids.  As a mom, there's nothing sweeter than that.  Stephanie is the definition of selfless, always looking out for the interest of others over herself.  I don't know many people like that.  She's a dime, completely unmatched.  If it's not apple scones, coffee, or sushi to bring us together, then it's definitely Parks and Recreation.  

She's the creamer to my coffee.  
The soy to my sauce.  
The Ann to my Leslie. 

I am so grateful that the Lord would knit us together in friendship.  Who knew that a girl that grew up in Starkville, Mississippi (Stephanie) and a girl who went to college in Starkville (me) would both end up in Midlothian, Virginia and attend the same church where they would become forever-friends.  God is too kind in giving me this sweet friend in Stephanie.  



What are you grateful for this month?




Add this button to your GRATEFULNESS post before you link it!









No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...